Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I just had a late-night snack of my mom's famous chicken and chickpeas slow cooked in tomato sauce. YUM.

Some news on the front...


I GOT A NEW JOB!

yay!

I will be in charge of customer support for adagio teas, which is an online and retail gourmet tea business (www.adagio.com or google tea and we're the 3rd thing on the list!). I'll have to do the grudge work of answering emails, tracking orders, etc but I get to do some fun stuff too! I have to cultivate and sustain the loyal customer base by creating topics on the website's message board and I get to write articles- anything about tea! Woo-hoo! It's a small company and I'm excited by the fact that there's no huge bureaucracy if I want to pitch an idea. I had my interview with the owner and we talked for two hours. Sweet. I have creative freedom over my writing, which is cool because I can get those skills I got in college (I was quite the research machine) as well as let my inner Martha out. Oh, and they are paying me a LOT more money than i'd make a year at the bookstore. The kicker is that it's all the way up in Garfield, which is an hour away, and will prob. turn into a 2 hour commute each way. Whoa! But I think i'll be able to manage for a couple of months; I have family that lives up there and of course the boyfriend. In a couple of months too, I will be able to work from home, thus saving more money. I plan to move back up to Northern Jerz by the end of the year, if not sooner.

I can't express how happy I am! I've been on a cloud 9 of sorts, with some bum-outs, such as working a stupid busy President's Day. Man, do the crazies come out! Ugh, they were taking up the aisles, pulling every effing book off the shelf, screaming (the children), whining (the adults), and making a mess and not buying anything. Fer serious. I just kept on retreating into the back, where I was comforted by the thought that I will be here less than a month.

So, in prep. for my departure from B&N, I've started to order all this stuff I want. I found these awesome cupcake notecards and ordered a bunch. And a book on the world's most beautiful libraries. And 2 Filipino children's books. I had this whole thing where I was going to buy a lot of stuff before I leave, but I was looking at prices for the books I want on amazon and it usually is a dollar cheaper with shipping, or the same price. It's going to be very weird to have to pay for books at full price. In fact, it's going to be very weird and a bit disarming not to be working at the bookstore. I have to subscribe to the NY Times weekender to get the book review or i'll never know anything about books again.

I plan to buy a lot of Moleskins. Last week I bought Trivial Pursuit The Book Lovers Edition. Who's ready to take on me and Nick in a game?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting! Wow a lot of my friends are suddenly getting crazy job offers at awesome places. Congratulations! It sounds like something that is completely up your alley, it's amazing that soon you'll be able to work from home! What's the website? I want to check on your articles and stuff once you start writing. I love tea!

christine. said...

it's adagio.com- yay! the tea is very pretty too.