Wednesday, July 19, 2006

several hours later....I've added 111 titles to my netflix queue. I signed up for the 'one DVD at a time' unlimited. I figure if I at least see 4-5 a month, my ten bucks will be worth it. My first choice is 3 Women, by Robert Altman. I am also planning to keep a journal of every movie I see from now on. HA.

I've been meaning to do this with also all the books I read because I've realized I have a farty memory and my description of books boils down to "It was really good...good ending" and that also translates to movie descriptions, so I guess this is all part of the "Bettering (is that a word?) of C. Rillo" Academic/Intellectual Plan (which is executed along with the 'Bettering of C. Rillo Physical/Appearance/Health/Whatever Else Plan, which might be explained in the future [its me working out, not smoking, and buying clothes every other day oouf])which entails :

  • watching more good movies that I've been meaning to see, have been told to see, are favorite movies of friends/crushes/random customers @ the store who insist watching said movie will 'change my life'. However, I haven't added the following out of personal principle: Garden State, Secondhand Lions (Haley Joel Osmet evokes this weird gag reflex), The Sixth Sense (I know the 'big secret' and then I saw Unbreakable, and um HJO is also in it), and The Notebook. All 3 of these titles are in the top 100 of Netflix, btw. Oh, and NO DAVID LYNCH. Holy shit. I HATE DAVID LYNCH (But I might add Eraserhead....wait, I did. oops)
  • reading more books and shit. Iwas about to say that I wish they had a system for books like Netflix, but then I was like...oh. THE LIBRARY. dumbshit moment, I apologize. I've reread a favorite classic, The Great Gatsby, which I love (and reminds me I want to add the 70s film adaptation starring Sam Waterson and Robert Redford on my list...) and I want to reread Lord of the Flies (I already added the 60s adapt. of the book. ha). I've been getting into essays and memoirs as of late, but I have a stack of art, fiction, and history books, all refugees from college classes in which I didn't do the reading and impulse purchases at work.
  • writing more; zines which, after reading Sedaris Me Talk Pretty One Day and Sarah Vowell's Take the Cannoli, I want to write in essay-form...well most zines are almost like essay anthologies, but I love the idea of themes. so yeah.
  • learn more vocabulary: also in preparation for GRE review. Note to self: Buy GRE review book. When does one take that again? oouf
  • learn, to, control, use, of, commas...

anyway. BYE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I got your message. We have to do a movie night because I am doing the same thing as you. Everyone I talk to says that once in law school, I'll have no time (or desire) to read for pleasure. I also translate that to watching my favorite movies. I've decided recently that I'm going to watch/read one thing that I've been meaning to watch/read every day until law school starts. Garden State is on my list too! We should compare Netflix lists. Hehe. I have like over 100 titles on there too. Anyway, I should call but this is easier since I checked your page and am suddenly inspired. Ummm.. I'm free next Wednesday all day. k call me. bye

Q

elephantcore. said...

dude, garden state aaaand the notebook are super cute. and i know you'll like them. so take down your high and mighty principles and watch them. guaranteed you'll either say 'awwwe' ooor 'eh' but you know...

christine. said...

I don't know guys...I don't think I can give in to Garden State and The Notebook after having to work in the music/dvd dept last summer when both were released to the delight of annoying P'tonians. BUT my mom does own The Notebook (she would, wouldn't she? what a pussy. haha) Aaaand maybe I'll add Garden State for at least the fact that the soundtrack is good. HA.