Thursday, July 13, 2006

*warning, Project Runway Spoilers Ahead*
Yes, yes, yes! When I found out that PR was going to do a 3rd season this early, of course I was so excited. So, last night was the big premiere, and I plopped my big ole butt from 9 (for the preshow) to 11, and tuned in for all the cutting, bitchiness, fabric, design, and overall fabulous-ness in what looks like a promising season.
I don't know what the allure of PR is...I'm not a huge fan of reality tv, only really as a guilty-pleasure, toungue in cheek if you will kind of enjoyment. I guess because it has to do with Fashion, and I LOVE clothes and design. Afterall, ever since I was a younger I was always sewing, drawing, and even considered going into fashion. Alas, I passed on the opp. to go FIT, but I don't regret that one bit. I've realized I'm more of a crafter than a sewer, but I do want to start making more clothes; to sell and for myself. Simple, cute stuff...nothing Couture or crazy chic. I do appreciate good clothes, and now that I am getting older, I've realized that when I do have to buy clothes, I should make better decisions and pick pieces that are classic, grown-up, and aren't graphic tee shirts from delias. oouf, I really ought to stop buying so many tee shirts, period. But yeah....I think I appreciate both mainstream fashion, stuff you see in Lucky and Shop Etc and what not, but also DIY because that's the stuff I like to do. I think it all just falls under; Christine likes clothes, shoes, accessories, and ummm whatever.
So, I'm pretty excited about Season 3. I've forgotten how longer the runway shows are , because there are still so many contestants. I think the design aesthetic and skill is a nice range, as well as the degrees of douchebagery that has already been displayed on last night's show. Looking at the promo for the rest of the season, promises a lot of drama (there seems to be a lot of bickering this Season, and among more people than letsay the typical 2-3). They didn't show any teasers of any future challenges; I hope they are just as fun and creative as they have been in the past....my favorite part of the show is seeing the process of creation...it makes me become more inspired and itching to craft or create something.
I haven't pinned down the contestants names just yet. Stacey was the first one to be au'fed last night. I agreed with the decision, even though Vincent's piece was kind of fugg (that DAMN HAT!) but I understand he has more of visionary appeal, and lets hope the rest of his pieces aren't as dumb as that number. Stacey couldn't sew to save her life, and it was good to see that a potential Marla from Season 2 was auf'd (how frustrating is it to be another contestant on the show and having to tutor your competitor?!) early enough. Her design had potential but somewhat too simple. Student-y, as Michael Kors or Tim Gunn would reply, I think.
My favorites so far (personality and design wise) are Bradley Baumkirkner (i LOVED his bio video, and the clothes featured in it...AND his sketches...how effing cute!), Keith Michaels (he looks like he's going to be a big asshole, but i hearted that dress and was so glad he won), Robert Best (anyone who designs for Barbie is AWESOME), Bonnie (she's so cute. there's something about her), Laura (she exudes classiness, reminds me of chanel), Alison (her voice is kind of annoying, but i really liked her piece and her video bio), Kayne (HELLO, he owns a pagent gown store. Those fucking gays, I love em).
Michael, Angela, KAtherine, Uli, and Vincent (who is a little nuts, I think) I'm interested in, but I can't call them favorites yet. However, Jeffrey and Malan are already earning points in my tick-o-meter...Firstoff, Jeffrey has that dumb douchebag "I design for rockstars, and I'm fucking hardcore awesome, hello, look at my neck tattoo!!!" thing about him. The shit he made looks like shit you can get at Hot Topic, and the piece he made last night was a train-wreck! Deconstruction, bullshit...it looked like he doused his model in auto-car rags. Also, his "sick neck-tatt" makes his neck look super wide, and his head look itty-bitty. I can't look at him when he does his confessionals. oouf.
Malan, I don't think it's a problem with his designs, he made something nice last night. BUT that accent and his laugh!!! ouff...I thought i would enjoy the british-whatever the fuck that is, but it's already annoying! haha. Well, I think it's his laugh more so than his speaking voice, and also his posture. He did not stand up straight the entire show! He's going to develop that damn, Watson-Butler kind of posture...to match his accent.
I am curious what they are going to do about models. I liked the process they had Season 1, where the winner got the first pick ,and then everyone else picked randomly. Last Season, they didn't have immunity for the winner, and most of the designers stuck with the models they had from the beginning, which is understandble, because you get to learn their body, measurements, walks, etc etc. Maybe they will do a mix of immunity and non-immunity...I remember reading a discussion on televisionwithoutpity.com boards about how the lack of immunity seem to not have the designers work to their ultimate potential-like most of the time in Season 2, some designers (ahem, Marla, ahem)where just pumping out a 'good-enough' garment, in hopes they wouldn't get eliminated. If they were truly passionate about design, they should be taking the opportunity to explore their aesethtic, or tweak it. Lets hope there are plenty of delicious pieces made this season...Hump Days now have a reason for existance.
Contestants/potential-contestants used the words 'passion' and 'fashion' way too many times for my liking. Lets work on that, okay?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

delia's graphic tees FO'EVA!

- your little