Monday, September 04, 2006

Happy Labor Day.

I got about four-five hours of sleep the night before and had to go in to work from 9-4. It was a bit busy but it was time and a half. Always a plus. However, the league of customers who frequent the bookstore on Sundays and holidays are in a league of their own. Either it's depressing because they're old, withered bodies, asking you to speak directly into their ears because they can't hear you OR they're super annoying, regardless of age, snippy, ignorant, etc etc.

But you know what the best thing about Labor Day is? The next day all the kids go back to school! YAY! Summer reading is over, and I love the kids who are coming in now, flustered that they didn't think of at least coming in mid-August to pick up Lord of the Flies or Ender's Game and their parents, who like to bitch you out because we're out of Number Devil. A giant FUCK YOU to all, you should've done your reading earlier. I never had any summer reading when I was younger (I did it voluntarily, and it was usually gothic-horror-fluff like VC Andrews. ha. ) and I wish I did because now I'm rediscovering the classics. I'm trying to get through Wuthering Heights right now, and it's going okay. I'm also reading The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith. I decided to take a que from Q, who reads several books at one time. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the moody moors, but today I read about five chapters of Smith. it's pretty good, though I don't understand all of the Jewish references. I have picked up that goyish means gentile. I try.

Last night I went out with some of the members of the closing crew for the usual round of drinks at Fridays (groan). I kind of poured my heart out to Nick unintentionally, moaning about my love life/my susceptibility of falling for dummies/how to meet guys/How do you meet guys?!/and i think the guys I really are attracted to probably think I'm really dumb. He was honest and told me that he had no intelligent advice to give me, but that apparently this is what twentysomething is all about. Great. Oh, well. We ended up laughing about a lot of stuff. I enjoy talking to Nick a lot, he seems very cosmopolitan at times, but very down-to-earth. Nice guy all around. I went home much later than I wanted to, thus the lack of sleep.

After work I took some notes on grad schools and stuff so I could get started looking at that. Blah. I feel very motivated at work to do things like that but the minute I get home, all I want to do is sit around, watch tv, read books that aren't my GRE study guide, and vegetate. Hmpf. i need to get into serious mode soon.

Well, one of my goals this week is to write up issue # 2 of Ratti Pillo. Yeah, I'm finally getting around to it, seeing as that Philly Zine Fest is on the 24th. I am also planning to craft like crazy starting on Friday. ! I'm excited.

Meanwhile, I watching this documentary on TLC about the Dugger family- 16 kids. Crazy. They're like super nice and shit and um tight knit and wear too many long skirts/jumpers kind of family. newborn-17. 2 sets of twins. And they all have names starting with a 'J'. It's a little freakish, but only mildly.

I picked up this book, 20something essays by 20something writers. Aha!

*ps: on my mac, I don't have the edit bar to italicize letters, font, allignment, etc etc. So excuse you know, stuff.

No comments: